Monday, July 22, 2013

Refrigerator pickles. I am woman. Hear me roar.

I made my own pickles today. Did you hear me? I MADE MY OWN PICKLES TODAY.
I cannot even believe that I said that, let alone did it.

Growing up, I was from the county but there were a lot of things that I tried not to be. Now, the older I get, I find myself embracing them more and more. I used to catch fireflies and wear their glowing goo as jewelry. I can "pop a squat" anywhere, I can shoot guns and drink beer. I can make my own pickles.

To be quite honest and fair, there was no canning involved. I haven't gone that far, yet. They are refrigerator pickles and so dang easy!

You can find the simple full recipe on my pinterest page.
Basically you get some white vinegar, sugar (I used splenda), and sea salt, bring that to a boil.
Then you add some vinegar and peppercorns to your jars, along with a clove of fresh garlic, a handful of fresh dill and your cucumbers. Then you add the mix from the pan. close it up and voila, you have some pretty easy and tasty pickles! The site says let them sit 24 hours, but I couldn't wait. I tried them.. we actually had a whole jar. They were already delicious.

I am pretty stoked and think that I may always have my own pickles in the fridge!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I am determined to get out of this blog slump...my answer...BLOG ALL THE TIME! LOL. But I wanted to comment back to you that my favorite white wine is called Evolution by Lucky No.9. Its a blend and is my absolute FAVORITE! Its not too dry but not too sweet - I would say its a perfect mix between a chardonnay and Riesling. Try it - I promise you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete